Friday, June 20, 2014

The ongoing battle of blood glucose.  That's the story of our lives.  I had to have a "little talk" with Cami a bit ago..."How am I supposed to keep your blood glucose under control when you take care of a smelly bodily function and turn around and eat it?"  I'm thinking it's time to start taking Cami outside on a leash and staying with her every single moment she's outside.  As far as I can see, that's the only way to stop this!  

She doesn't bother with what the other dogs leave behind, fortunately!  

I really don't want to have to restrict her to a leash, but am at my wit's end as to how else to handle this issue!

I'm somewhat fanatical about Cami's blood glucose and there's a very good reason!  From the very beginning, getting Cami's diabetes under control has been the big issue!  Home testing with THE pet calibrated glucose meter, I need to know at any given time, how Cami's doing, especially if her behavior is just a bit "off".  Before Bill and I leave the house for anything, I test Cami's blood glucose.  Everything is in a journal.  Every food change, every blood test result.  Every meal time.  Every insulin time and amount.  Any unusual activity like company (which always excites her), any new dogs who might want to play and run her blood glucose a little lower than normal.  Just ask me about any particular day and I can flip through one journal or the other and tell you what happened that day!  

We've seen super high numbers that scare my socks off!  We've seen super low numbers that send me running for Cami's own personal "crash kit"!  Our version of a diabetic crash kit has become more sophisticated over time, mainly with the helpful advice of Canine Diabetes Support and Information group on Facebook.  I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't found them!  We now have "graduated" to the ever present Karo syrup, wheat crackers, peanut butter, some canned dog food (Cami's brand only) as well as Stage 2 baby food in chicken and/or turkey!  There's a separate kit for travelling!  Packets of honey (thank you Church's Chicken for offering me honey for my biscuits), wheat crackers, unopened baby food!  Always ready to drop into "Cami's cooler" along with her food and insulin, syringes and dishes!  Oh wait, we can't forget the chicken broth (no fat, low sodium!) to add to her water.  

Yes, chicken broth for her water.  I started spoiling her after surgery and used chicken broth added to her water to entice her into drinking more!  She won't let me stop!  If there's no chicken broth in that bowl, she is NOT drinking it.  And believe me, Cami KNOWS when I'm trying to taper off on that chicken broth!  She lets me know in no uncertain terms that I need to add MORE.  She'll sniff the water...look up at me...sniff the water again...look up at me...and then turn and walk away.  Can we say Princess Cami?  Uh huh and I DID IT!

Right now, the little Princess is curled up on her Pig Bed, waiting for me to turn off the overhead lights so Bill and I can curl up with Miss Molly behind my knees, Stormy in the recliner and foster Stella snoring on the back of the couch!  Movie time at the Hightower house!  Oh I've talked myself into it!  

Bye y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home